Sunday, July 10, 2011

touch down in Uganda

Hello All!

We made it to Uganda. It has pretty much been non-stop since we got here. But since today is Sunday it is our rest day. Which is much needed. Our plane landed early in the morning so we got picked up by the CLD staff and headed straight to the village Kaliro. It was two more hours of travel out to a pretty isolated area. We were thrown right into the Ugandan culture there. First off it is really hot here! I'm not sure what the actual temperature is but it is also quite humid so it's hot.

In the village we all (20 of us, staff and team) stayed in one pretty small building. 6 of us shared 3 twin mattresses to sleep on the two nights we were there. The village consisted of playing with lots of kids, getting really really dirty, using the long drop (or toilet if you can even call it that) and a basin bath (pouring water on yourself with a cup our of a basin). It was great going there for the first days though because there was nothing around so we really got to bond as a group and see life in Uganda.

On Friday we traveled two hours back to The White House (our base camp). Very different from the village. We have a pretty large house with full bathrooms where we could actually take a semi decent shower and use a normal toilet. We also all have out own beds which is so nice! Our main base is just the house. Then there is our slum base which we visited, the school grounds at WCIA, and the farm which we have yet to go to. Yesterday we did a medical clinic in the slums. I was really nervous going into it because I had no idea what we would see. I helped work the vitamin station. We went out early and walked through the slums to get the word out and then had the clinic. Mostly children came and then some mothers with their babies. They got to wash their hands, take de-worming pills, eat a vitamin, get sprayed for head fungi, get any medical attention for cuts if needed, and brush their teeth. There were a few kids and adults that showed up with some pretty bad wounds and we helped them out the best we could.

When we travel here we ride in these van cabs. They typically hold 14 people but when we go with our whole group we jam about 20 people into one. Driving is a little scary, and I'm still not used to driving on the opposite side of the road. These are some of the best drivers though so although it can be nerve racking I trust them. The food has been a test for me. But I have tried everything and have to say I enjoy almost all of it. Its pretty bland food and a lot of the same things over and over but its food. Lots of beans, rice and potatoes. I brought so many cliff bars with me though and I am so thankful!

There is so much I want to share I feel like I could write a book. I can't believe our first week is already done though. I am so excited for what all this trip holds! Internet is hard to get here but on Sundays they open it up for the house to use so I probably wont write again for a week. Everything here is great though and I can't wait to really share everything when I get home!

peace.love.joy